Beauty and function are inseparable goals for most when it comes to their mouth. We all desire a smile that is attractive. But the desire for a healthy smile is not just vanity. Healthy teeth are well-functioning teeth that allow us to speak clearly and to eat a variety of nourishing foods, keeping our entire body healthy.
Decay disfigures our smile and erodes the ability of our teeth to function properly, which can lead to a cascade of problems for our teeth and our overall health.
Porcelain crowns can rescue teeth that are severely damaged, creating a durable and natural looking tooth while restoring form and function and a confident appearance.
If you are seeking a cosmetic dentist for crown restoration work, Dr. Jay W. Chrisman and Dr. David D. Wyse serve the Bloomington area and are skilled in applying porcelain crowns or other types of crowns. Their offices offer a full range of cosmetic, general, and restorative dentistry services.
Dental crowns are used when a tooth has been severely decayed or damaged. A crown may also be used when enamel on a tooth is severely eroded. The crown fits over the tooth, basically encasing the tooth down to the gums. Dental crowns are an option as long as there is enough healthy tooth remaining. It is important to preserve as much of a tooth as possible for as long as possible. Extraction should be considered only as a last resort.
Patients often prefer porcelain crowns over metal ones because their translucent luster closely mimics a natural tooth. Porcelain can also be color-matched to your own teeth, making it hard to distinguish between the two.
If you are in need of a crown or would like to replace a metal one, here are points you should consider about porcelain crowns:
- Natural look: The translucent luster of a porcelain crown makes it look and feel like real teeth.
- Color and Form: A porcelain crown can be designed to resemble your original tooth, right down to the color.
- Tough: Porcelain is durable and has been reported to last for more than a decade in some patients.
- Protection: A porcelain crown protects your tooth from further decay and sensitivity.
- Easy Care: No special maintenance is needed, just daily brushing and flossing.
- Stain Resistant: Porcelain resists stains, allowing you to enjoy a variety of foods without worry.
- Safe: Allergic reactions to dental porcelain are extremely rare.
- Comfort: Because porcelain can be molded to replicate your tooth, most patients can hardly tell the difference.
- Function: By covering a broken or irregular tooth, a porcelain crown restores your tooth’s bite and the ability to speak clearly.
- Beauty: Rather than a gaping hole or a metal crown, the porcelain crown hides defects and restores your smile.
Dr. Chrisman and Dr. Wyse use the newest dental technologies to ensure they provide high quality dentistry to their patients. If you have severe tooth damage or are unhappy with an older metal crown, please call our offices. We can explain restoration solutions that are appropriate for your situation.