If your teeth and gums are in poor health, it is probably causing you a great amount of pain, embarrassment, and mental distress. If you do not regularly brush and floss, and avoid routine visits to the dentist, your oral health is put at serious risk. As harmful bacteria and plaque build up in the mouth, permanent damage is caused to the teeth and gums. Once tooth decay and gum disease have reached their advanced stages, professional dental treatments are needed to save the remaining teeth and gum tissue. At our Bloomington cosmetic dentistry practice, Chrisman & Wyse Cosmetic & General Dentistry, Dr. Jay W. Chrisman and Dr. David D. Wyse offer a range of full mouth reconstruction treatments to restore patients' smiles back to health.
Full Mouth Reconstruction Assessment
During your dental exam, we will perform a traditional cleaning; take digital X-rays; inspect your gum line, teeth, and bite; and ask you about any dental problems you have been experiencing. Our dentists can formulate potential treatment options to improve the health and aesthetics of your smile. All signs of tooth decay must be removed, and if decay has penetrated the inner canals of the tooth, root canal therapy may be necessary. If you have developed gum disease, treatments such as root planing and scaling, pocket reduction, or gum graft surgery may be needed.
Restoration of Existing Teeth
During your dental exam, our dentists will determine if damaged teeth can be saved with dental restorations. Once the tooth decay has been cleaned out, our dentists may recommend the following treatment options:
- Tooth-colored Fillings: Using a tooth-colored composite resin, we can fill small holes left by dental decay. The filling blends seamlessly with the tooth and offers sufficient support for teeth affected by smaller cavities.
- Dental Crowns: If dental decay has destroyed a significant portion of the tooth's structure, a dental crown is placed over the tooth to help the weakened tooth withstand the force of biting and chewing.
Replacement of Missing or Extracted Teeth
If tooth decay or gum disease has caused severe damage to the teeth and gums, some teeth may need to be extracted. In these cases, our dentists recommend immediate replacement of the missing tooth or teeth to prevent additional dental problems. At Chrisman & Wyse Cosmetic & General Dentistry, we offer all types of tooth replacement options to our patients.
- Dental Implants: For our patients in Bloomington, dental implants are a favored treatment option because they are sturdy, durable, and aesthetically appealing. The implant post is surgically placed in the jawbone and becomes securely bonded within the mouth over the period of the next few months. Then, the implant can be restored with a dental crown, bridge, or dentures.
- Dental Bridges: A dental bridge is attached to dental crowns that are placed on the existing teeth or implants adjacent to the gap. The bridge is a single piece that is made to resemble up to three consecutive teeth.
- Dentures: Patients of our practice can opt for removable or implant-supported partial or full dentures. Removable dentures cost less than implant-supported dentures and can be removed for cleaning. Implant-supported dentures are considered more stable than removable dentures.
To schedule an appointment at Chrisman & Wyse Cosmetic & General Dentistry, contact our Bloomington practice today.